Fire sparked by cigarette breaks out near Richmond shopping centre

In News by Anywhere Vancouver

Richmond RCMP say a recent bush fire that broke out near a shopping centre was sparked by a cigarette butt.

An officer on patrol on July 7th encountered a brush fire near the parking lot of a local shopping centre in the 6500 block of No. 3 Road.

The fire was quickly put out, which police say was caused by a discarded cigarette butt.

“This incident highlights the importance of properly handling ignited articles such as cigarette butts. With the current dry weather, even a small spark can lead to a potentially dangerous situation. We urge all residents to be extra cautious and responsible,” said Inspector Mike Roberts of the Richmond RCMP.

Residents are being urged to be vigilant and take extra precautions to prevent fires as dry conditions and warm temperatures continue to persist across the province.

In light of the dry weather conditions, a BC-wide campfire ban is coming into effect later this week. The BC Wildfire Service says a campfire ban will take effect across the province at 12pm on Friday, July 12th.

More local news:


Spread the love